Thursday, 27 May 2010

Restoration Work 2010....Part 1

Here's what we have cleared so far...! Long way to go yet, but am determined to get through it!
Some pics are before and after. What a difference already. We have been at it now for 6 weeks. Will update this page regularly with more photos as we go along. Having set myself a target for clearing the pitch wall within 3 months, I have had to adjust that figure!!! Hell of a lot of work to do...

Sunday, 16 May 2010

Player Profile - John Weir 1915 - 1919

John Weir was a Junior player with Renfrew Juniors when the famous Third Lanark came in for him during the early years of The Great War. He made his debut for 'The Redcoats' on the 29th January 1916 playing Inside Right (number 8 in the modern game's positions). Aberdeen were the visitors to Cathkin Park on that cold and wintry day and went down under a flurry of goals, losing 6-2. A certain JOHN WEIR scored three of them. What a debut!!
He played a further 15 times for 3rds that season as the slaughter in Europe edged into industrial proportions.
Season 1916 - 1917 John played 40 games in all competitions for Third Lanark, hitting the net on 11 occasions. 1917 - 1918 saw him score 6 times in 29 matches and in the following season he scored 3 times in 14 games. He played his last game for the 'Hi Hi' on the 1st of March 1919 against Ayr United.
John Weir started season 1919 - 1920 at new club Airdrieonians FC. He played 16 first team matches that year, 1 Scottish Cup game and 15 league matches and scored 3 league goals. He then was transferred to Kings Park and then Armadale in season 1921 - 1922.The Armadale team of 1923 is pictured above.
From 1924 until 1926, he played at St Bernards, before finishing off his career with Bo'ness, helping them win promotion to the first division as Scottish Second Division champions 1926–27.

The photos on this page were sent to me by Thirds Historian Bert Bell. They are from 1920 and 1921 and unfortunately John Weir had moved on to Airdrie by then, however these guys were his friends and teammates.
John became an Engineer and founded his own company. He married Elizabeth Morrison in 1918 and had four children, Isobel,John,Alec and Elizabeth.
John Weir was my great grandfather...
and is pictured in the family holiday snap in the back row, second from the left(wearing his wife's hat for comic effect!!).

Hampden Park 2 - Home Of Queens Park FC

The ground was originally Queens Park Ground and staged its first league game in 1884. The ground then was called Hampden Park and Queens Park played there until they moved to the present site of Hampden Park in 1903. When Third Lanark took over the ground in 1903, they renamed it Cathkin Park. Whilst known as Hampden Park in staged a number of Scottish Cup Finals and even Scotland played England there in 1894.
From Wikipedia.....
The Queen's Park Football Club was founded on 9 July 1867 with the words: "Tonight at half past eight o'clock a number of gentlemen met at No. 3 Eglinton Terrace for the purpose of forming a football club." Gentlemen from the local YMCA took part in football matches in the local Glasgow area which gave the club its name . During the inaugural meeting, debate raged over the club's name. Proposals included: 'The Celts'; 'The Northern' and 'Morayshire'. Perhaps such choice of names suggest a Highland influence within the new club. After much deliberation, 'Queen's Park' was adopted and carried, but only by a majority of one vote. Although Queen's were not the first club in Britain, they were the first in Scotland and often had to play among themselves in order to gain match practice. Opposition first came in the form of a now defunct Glaswegian side called Thistle FC and Queen's won 2-0 on 1 August 1868. ] Early Domination
Looking for serious competition and without any firm domestic challenges, Queen's joined the English Football Association in 1870 - the only football governing body in existence at the time. Their main attraction was to the new Challenge Cup and contributions were made to pay for the trophy . Queen's reached the first ever semi-finals in 1872 but had to withdraw due to lack of funds after drawing their first ever competitive match 0-0 with The Wanderers at the Kennington Oval. Financial constraints meant that Queen's played little part in the competition until 1884 where they stormed to the final before losing 2-1 to Blackburn Rovers at The Oval . Another loss to Blackburn the following year was the closest Queen's got to winning the English trophy. In 1887, Scottish clubs were banned from entering by the Scottish Football Association .
Robert Smith had played in the international matches against England of 19 November 1870[8] and the international matches of 25 February 1871 and 18 November 1871. The Queen's Park football club players R.Smith and J. Smith were named amongst 16 selected players in the publicity for the February 1872 match, and the reason for their absence is not clear. These early matches were organised under the auspices of the Football Association, but are not currently recognised by FIFA (founded 1904) as official.
Queen's and other 'Northern' clubs have been credit with bringing a style of 'passing-on' and 'combination' play to the game which revolutionised football . Before, individual play and dribbling were favoured by the best sides in the United Kingdom . But the 'clogging' style, popular with the successful Old Etonians, became outmoded and formations changed to suit a more expansive game, with passing, heading and wing play more commonplace .
On the 30th of November 1872, Scotland faced England at the West of Scotland Cricket Club ground at Hamilton Crescent. For the one and only time all eleven Scots players were from Queen's Park and they wore blue jerseys as those were the current colours of Queen's. This is, however, not the origin of the blue Scotland shirt as contemporary reports of the February 5th 1872 rugby international at the Oval show that "the scotch were easily distinguishable by their uniform of blue jerseys.... the jerseys having the thistle embroidered" The thistle had been worn previously in the 1871 rugby international but on brown shirts 4,000 spectators watched Scotland play with a 2-2-6 formation and England with a 1-1-8 line-up.
The match itself illustrated the advantage gained by the Queens Park players "through knowing each others' play" as all came from the same club. Contemporary match reports clearly show dribbling play by both the English and the Scottish sides, for example: "The Scotch now came away with a great rush, Leckie and others dribbling the ball so smartly that the English lines were closely besieged and the ball was soon behind", "Weir now had a splendid run for Scotland into the heart of his opponents' territory." and "Kerr.. closed the match by the most brilliant run of the day, dribbling the ball past the whole field" Scotland nearly won but a Robert Leckie shot landed on the tape crossbar and the game finished 0-0. Although the Scottish team are acknowledged to have worked better together during the first half, the contemporary account in the Scotsman newspaper acknowledges that in the second half England played similarly: "During the first half of the game the English team did not work so well together, but in the second half they left nothing to be desired in this respect." There is no specific description of a passing maneouvre in the lengthy contemporary match reports, although two weeks' later The Graphic reported "[Scotland] seem to be adepts at passing the ball". There is no evidence in the article that the author attended the match, as the reader is clearly pointed to match descriptions in "sporting journals". Similarly, the 5th March 1872 match between Wanderers and Queens park contains no evidence of ball passing This contemporary evidence suggests that the origin of the short passing game lies in the mid 1870s.
Queen's have been credited with pioneering solid cross bars, however, even as late as the 1872 Glasgow international a "tape" was being used in Scotland whilst the use of crossbars had been part of the Sheffield Rules of 1862.
Queen's Park formed the Scottish Football Association on the 13th of March 1873, with eight other clubs . Their match with Dumbreck on October 25 was the first match to be played at the first at Hampden Park . It was also the first match which saw Queen's wear their custom black and white hooped jerseys, which lent the club the nickname of 'The Spiders". Most importantly, it was the first Scottish Cup tie and Scottish competitive match for the club and Queen's won 7-0. In the final, Queen's defeated Clydesdale 2-0 at Hampden.
Queens Park FC's playing style involved the rough and tumble of early soccer even in the mid 1870s. For example, the match report of Queen's Park's victory over Wanderers in October 1875 states that
After a “hand” within thirty yards of the Wanderers’ lines, Weir got possession, and, successfully charg[ed] the English forwards
Success in the Scottish Cup followed in the next two years with final victories over Renton and Third Lanark. In drawing 2-2 with Clydesdale in the 1875 semi-final, Queen's conceded their first ever goals . Defeat for the club was first experienced with a 2-1 defeat to Vale of Leven in the 5th round in December 1876 . Third Lanark and Rangers eliminated the Spiders before Queen's reclaimed the cup in 1880 with a win over Thornliebank. Dumbarton were beaten in the final in successive years. In 1881, Queen's had to beat them twice after Dumbarton successfully appealed that the crowd at Kinning Park had encroached following a 2-1 defeat. Dumbarton got revenge in 1883 but Queen's won again in 1884 without even having to play the final after Vale of Leven refused to play on the date stipulated by the SFA .
Afterwards, the domination in the competition that the club had enjoyed began to lessen as more teams strengthened. The trophy was reclaimed in 1890 with a replay win over Vale of Leven and the club's 10th and final success came in 1893 with a 2-1 win over Celtic at Ibrox. In the same year, professional football was acknowledged by the SFA. Three years previously, the Scottish Football League had been formed but Queen's declined to join, stressing their amateur principles. Queen's Park joined the Scottish League in 1900 and took part in the 1900-01 season.
Nevertheless the Queen's players of the time were held in high regard throughout the country and some are still remembered today. Charles Campbell won eight Scottish Cup winners medals with Queen's and earned 13 Scotland caps. Wattie Arnott was a near ever-present in the successful teams of the 1880s. RS McColl scored a remarkable number of goals for Queen's and soon moved on to Newcastle and Rangers. In a unprecedented move, he returned to Queen's and scored six goals in his final match. Andrew Watson was the first black football player in Britain . He won three Scotland caps and starred in one of the club's earliest sides. J.A.H Catton, a notable sports editor, named Watson in his all-time Scotland team in 1926. Queen's in the Scottish League
However, as the 20th century drew nearer, Queen's found themselves playing in only cup competitions and the Glasgow league. A remarkable run to the 1900 Scottish Cup final saw Queen's only narrowly lose 4-3 to Celtic. The previous 25 years had Queen's achieve great success in cup competition but after ten years of resistance they finally took the big step to the Scottish Division One.
Queen's struggled with top-flight football and the professional sides which surrounded them. An early high-point was a 1-0 victory over Celtic at the opening of the new Hampden Park in 1903.

Photo page of Cathkin Park ....Now

The old stadium is crumbling, but enough still remains to salvage!

History Of The Third Lanark Rifle Volunteers


Third Lanark FC are unique in the annals of Scottish if not British football as they were borne from the 3rd Regiment of the Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers in 1872.
Volunteer forces were raised during the Napoleonic Wars but most were disbanded after the French defeat at Waterloo in 1815.
French naval expansion in the 1850's caused 'invasion panic' and in 1859 Volunteer Corps were re-created. Members of the corps received no pay and provided their own uniforms and equipment.
The Lanarkshire Volunteers were made up of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Corps with the 3rd based in the Strathbungo area in the south side of Glasgow.
The 3rd Lanarkshire Corp was made up by the amalgamation of several independent units including the '8th Coy Etna Foundry' and the remainder of the '78th Corps Old Guard of Glasgow.'
Their increasing 'professionalism' was confirmed in the Volunteers Act of 1863 by which time the Volunteers could now be called out for active military service instead of being utilised solely for defence purposes.

The first Scotland v England football international at Hamilton Crescent, Glasgow in 1872 inspired the regiment to start a football team of their own, subsequently becoming one of the original members of the Scottish Football Association.
A meeting was duly advised by the intimation of a public notice on the 12th December 1872 by members of the 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers and the meeting was convened in the Regimental Orderly room in East Howard Street, Glasgow.
Private Broadfoot explained that the meeting was called for the purpose of organising, if possible, a Football Club in connection with the Third Regiment. He further reported that Lieutenant-Colonel H E Crum-Ewing, the majority of the Officers and twenty-five other members of the Regiment had signified their willingness to support such a club.
Sergeant Wilson then moved: "That we, the Members now assembled should form ourselves into a club, to be called the 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers Football Club."
The motion was seconded by Private Taylor, and unanimously approved of.

First to be debated was the 'uniform,' which was to consist of:
1) A scarlet Guernsey or Jersey (the colour of the regiment uniform)
2) Blue trousers or knickerbockers
3) Blue stockings
A subsequent meeting decreed that the number 3 should be displayed on the Guernsey.
The first playing field of the team was the Regimental drill ground at Victoria Road, Glasgow which was situated just to the south of the Regimental Headquarters, with occasional indoor training at Regimental drill hall in Coplaw Street, Govanhill, before ultimately moving to a 'new' ground, Old Cathkin Park in 1875.
The ground was offered to the team by the then owners 'Dixons' which was a well known ironworks in Cathcart Road, Glasgow and after making the surface playable goalposts and crossbars (as opposed to tapes) were erected.
A grandstand was built in 1878 with the ultimate accolade coming, for all the subsequent hard work carried out in developing the ground, when in 1884 Old Cathkin Park was chosen as the venue for the then annual Scotland v England match resulting in a 1-0 win for Scotland which was their 5th win in a row against the 'Auld Enemy'.
The team was enjoying a particularly successful period at this time and in 1885 recorded their highest ever score defeating St. Andrews 11-0 in a 3rd round Scottish Cup match ,a score line which was to remain unsurpassed throughout their illustrious history.
In May 1881, there was a major reorganisation in the British army. Regiments ceased to be numbered and instead took names associated with their recruiting area or an element of their history.
The Volunteer Corps were now linked with the regular army and the four Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteer Corps became the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Volunteer Battalions attached to the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).
The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) were formed in 1881 by bringing together two single-battalion regiments: The Cameronians or the 26th Regiment Foot (raised 1689), and the 90th Perthshire Light Infantry (raised 1794), which respectively became the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the new Regiment.
The Cameronians were unique in that they were the only regiment in the British Army to have a religious origin, having been formed by Covenanters.
Each regiment now had two regular service battalions, one based at home recruiting and training, and one serving overseas. At regular intervals the two battalions would exchange roles.
The Regiments 1st Battalion took the name The Cameronians, whilst the other Battalions, including the Volunteers, were known as Scottish Rifles, a distinction which remained until the 1920s after which all Battalions used the Regiments full name.
It was Queen Victoria's wishes, that the Regiment became a rifle regiment, as a result of their great skill as marksmen, rather than ordinary infantry, thus becoming the only Scottish Rifle Regiment. This distinction was, by army tradition, considered a great honour.
The football club was now entering the most successful period of its short existence with season 1888/89 as the best to date winning the Scottish cup by defeating Celtic in what was to be known as the 'snow final'. A large crowd had arrived at Hampden Park for the final, unfortunately, the snow had got there before them and was ankle deep on the pitch. The general opinion was that the surface was unplayable, but the referee decided to proceed with the match which Third Lanark RV won 3-0.
Not surprisingly Celtic lodged a strong protest and following a special meeting at the Scottish Football Association a replay was ordered.
The 'warriers' or 'redcoats' as they were affectionately known (for obvious reasons) prevailed with a great 2-1 win and thus won their first trophy since inception. They accomplished this feat of endurance in grand style as they had to play a total of 13 games within the eight scheduled rounds due to several replays along the way.
This was by no means to be the limit of their success and by the end of the Century the Glasgow Charity Cup was captured three times.
The increase in professionalism within the club meant that changes were pending and the tenuous link with the regiment was finally severed in 1903 when they became a limited company and dropped the regimental title from their name (although retaining the colours of the Rifle Volunteers) and re-registered with the Scottish League as the 'Third Lanark Athletic Club'. Their first success under the new badge was not long in coming with the winning of the Glasgow Cup that season.
Trophies were still on the agenda and the greatest achievement any club could aspire to was securing their national league championship and this was won for the one and only time in the clubs history in 1904.
What makes this achievement so remarkable was that all their matches were played away from home at either Hampden or elsewhere due to the new ground not being ready for occupancy for that particular season.
This was to be their final move and the ground, which was purchased from Queens Park FC, was located on Cathcart Road, Crosshill just 'up the hill' from their previous home and was to be called New Cathkin Park and what better way to celebrate the new 'home' than to round off an excellent season by winning the Glasgow Cup.
The Scottish Cup was won again in 1905 when Rangers were defeated 3-1 after a replay and with the Glasgow Cup again being secured in 1908 the future was certainly looking bright as the club moved forward into the new century.
The Haldane Army reforms of 1908 was to herald the end of the famous name of the 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers when they were disbanded, only to reform as the 7th Territorial Battalion of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).
The 1st, 2nd and 4th Volunteers became the 5th, 6th and 8th Territorial Battalions, respectively.
The turning point for the Volunteers came when they served overseas for the first time in the Boer War and had distinguished themselves fighting alongside the regular battalions.
The ultimate test for the new territorial battalions was not far away, with the advent in 1914, of what was to be the most cataclysmic conflict of those modern times, The Great War.
The Great War began on 4th August and throughout Great Britain an air of excitement and expectation prevailed with men of all stations keen to be involved before it was 'all over'.
James Yuill TurnbullSergeant17th Battalion Highland Light Infantry
James Turnbull was born in Glasgow in 1883 where he was brought up, educated and upon leaving school entered the Tailoring trade.
James was intelligent, had an outgoing personality, a love of the outdoors and bore a fine physique, which was honed as a result of his sporting prowess as a member of the Cartha Athletic Club on the south side of Glasgow.
His interest in the promotion of an active lifestyle was clearly indicated in his earlier years as a member of the 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers where he loved the military training and camaraderie associated with the Battalion, which was ultimately to play a bigger part in his life than he could have imagined.
When war came James enlisted in the 17th Battalion of the Highland Light Infantry (Glasgow Commercials) and the training he had received with the 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteers meant he quickly rose to the rank of sergeant.
The 17th HLI was as near to a 'Pals' battalion as was possible, because Pals battalions, perhaps by some intuitive foresight, were not actively promoted in Scotland, although the 17th had two sister battalions: 16th Boys Brigade and the 15th Glasgow Tramways all of which were to fight and suffer together in the Thiepval area of the Somme in 1916.
The Boys Brigade, inspired by their treasurer, David Laidlaw, volunteered to form a battalion of the HLI but was turned down by the City fathers. He then approached the Cameron Highlanders which was not a Glasgow regiment but finally achieved success in Glasgow when the Corporation consented to the formation of a Highland Light Infantry Glasgow Tramways Battalion.
On the 7th September, the Tramways, motormen and conductors assembled in George Square, Glasgow resplendent in their green uniforms and marched in formation behind a pipe-band to enlist at the tram depot in Coplawhill (a matter of yards from the old 3rd Lanark Rifle Volunteer drill hall in Coplaw Street).
Under the auspices of James Dalrymple, Glasgow's transport manager, 1102 men enlisted in just 16 hours to form the new 15th Battalion Highland Light Infantry.
The 'Big Push' of 1st July 1916 is a date that was to be etched forever in the annals of British history and the 17th HLI in the company of its sister battalion the 16th HLI were detailed to attack the Leipzig Redoubt.
The initial objective of the 17th was to occupy the Granatloch, which was a small and heavily fortified quarry, while on their left the 16th were to take the Wundt-Werk.
The 16th HLI had a torrid time and found the wire in front of them uncut by the week long bombardment and in the face of murderous machine-gun fire their casualties quickly mounted to 19 officers and 492 other ranks.
The 17th HLI faired better and were able to secure the quarry but suffered horrendous casualties when they tried to advance further towards the rear of the redoubt by the machine-gun fire that was coming from the untaken Wundt-Werk and had to retreat back to the Granatloch.
The 17th was badly depleted but at 2pm two platoons of the 2nd Manchesters managed to reach the Granatloch to bolster the remains of the stricken battalions that still occupied the quarry, which included the11th Border, the 1st Dorset and the 19th Lancashire Fusiliers.
James had discovered an abandoned bomb store and for more than twelve hours his athletic abilities and powerful physique allowed him almost single-handed to outdistance the German bombers and thus prevent the remainder of his unit from being outflanked and annihilated.
James was killed by a sniper's bullet on the evening of the 1st July when he attempted to bomb forward in an effort to counter an attack that was developing from the German trenches to the north.
For his bravery and devotion to duty James was posthumously awarded the highest honour his country could bestow, the Victoria Cross.
The citation in the London Gazette on the 24th November 1916 records:
"For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty, when, having with his party captured a post apparently of great importance to the enemy, he was subjected to severe counter-attacks, which were continuous throughout the whole day. Although his party was wiped out and replaced several times during the day, Sergeant Turnbull never wavered in his determination to hold the post, the loss of which would have been very serious. Almost, single-handed, he maintained his position, and displayed the highest degree of valour and skill in the performance of his duties. Later in the day this very gallant soldier was killed whilst bombing a counter-attack from the parados of our trench."
The ground held by James and his comrades was the most northerly point reached on the first day of the Somme battles and testament to the severity of the battle lay in the carpet of bodies that lay around the quarry that was the Granatloch.
James Yuill Turnbull VC is buried in the Lonsdale Cemetery (still no man's land) a mere few hundred yards from where he performed his heroic acts on that dreadful day of Saturday, 1st July 1916.
John FergusonSecond Lieutenant4th Battalion. attd. 2nd BattalionCameronians (Scottish Rifles)
John was born in Glasgow but moved to Stirlingshire at an early age, where he was brought up by his aunt, Miss M Ferguson at Forest Hill, Aberfoyle.
He attended Callander High School where he excelled in the classroom as well as the playing field with football his main past-time.
His first senior team was St Bernards who as recently as 1895 had won the Scottish Cup and very soon his scoring exploits on the park had attracted the attention of the bigger clubs with Newcastle United, Heart of Midlothian and of course Third Lanark all chasing his signature.
It was the wiles of the Thirds manager Mr M Tarbert, which won the day. John had gone for the evening to the Glasgow Empire theatre and upon hearing of this Mr Tarbert headed straight there. He waited outside for John to emerge and when he did was whisked quickly away to a restaurant for a meal after which the signing was completed.
By this time John was attending Edinburgh University and made his debut on 18th October 1913 against Rangers and scored a goal in a 4-2 deficit.
It was unusual then and perhaps even now, for a university educated man to be involved in what was becoming a working class sport, but John bore no 'airs and graces' and was certainly a welcome and well liked addition to the playing staff at Cathkin Park.
When war broke out John enlisted, like a true Volunteer, in the 4th Battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and due to his university education was commissioned 2nd lieutenant.
He was then seconded to the 2nd Battalion as part of the 4th Army, 8th Division, 23rd Brigade and in October 1916 found himself in the Flers sector in the Somme battle. On the 23rd October, the 2nd Scottish Rifles in the company of the 2nd Middlesex were to attack and capture Zenith trench, which they managed to achieve. The Scottish Rifles were then ordered to push on and take Orion trench but were forced back under murderous machine-gun fire, resulting in horrendous loss of life and it was at this time John was killed.
Sadly, as was often the case in the Great War, John's body was not recovered and he is now commemorated on the Memorial to the Missing at Thiepval, Somme, along with 73,000 of his comrades.
John only played with Third Lanark FC for a brief spell due to the intervention of the war, but, in that short passage of time he earned the respect and admiration of all attached to the club, not only for his ability on the park, which was heading for international honours, but for his qualities as a human being and no man could ask for more.
The time had now come for the old 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers in the guise of the 7th Battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) to make their mark in the Great War.
They were part of 156th Brigade of the 52nd (Lowland) Division and were detailed along with their sister battalion the 8th Scottish Rifles and the 7th Royal Scots to head for the peninsula that was Gallipoli.
The Royal Scots landed on V beach at Cape Helles on 13th June 1915 but disaster had already struck before they had even left their native Scotland. The train carrying them to Liverpool for embarkation crashed at Quintinshill near Gretna Green resulting in over 500 casualties, 200 of which were fatal.
The Scottish Rifle battalions landed on V and W beaches on the 14th June and were greeted at V beach by disembarking via an old collier which had been beached to act as a pier that would carry the troops across the deep water to dry land and had a name that would be familiar to them, the 'River Clyde'.
The troops were now given time to acclimatise themselves to their new surroundings and to shake out the cobwebs after their long sea voyage by digging new trenches and occupying the front line trenches to get them accustomed to shell-fire. They were unsure which was the lesser of the two evils.
Very soon they were on their way on a tortuous route march to what was to be their jumping off point for the next attack, Gully Ravine.
Gully Ravine was two miles long and up to 100 metres wide at some points with steep sides and the Turkish trenches bisected it from the Spur on the seaward side to the inland side in front of the village of Krithia.
The 156th Brigade was now attached to the 29th Division and they were to attack on the inland side of the ravine, but with minimal artillery support, as the main bombardment would concentrate on the seaward side the consequences of which were to prove disastrous for the territorials.
The bombardment started at 9am and the troops were due over the top at 11am, with the 8th Scottish Rifles and the 7th Royal Scots the first to go. The 7th Scottish Rifles, in reserve, followed soon after and had the onerous task of climbing over their dead comrades of the 8th battalion who were mercilessly cut down by Turkish fire at Fir Tree Spur.
The minimal bombardment had little effect on the Turkish trenches and all three battalions were to suffer grave losses. The 8th Scottish Rifles lost 25 officers and 400 other ranks while the 7th Royal Scots and the 7th Scottish Rifles were also decimated by murderous machine-gun fire.
The territorials of 156th brigade had at least achieved their objectives for the attack but at what cost.
Such were the losses for the two Rifle battalions that what remained were amalgamated into the 7th/8th Scottish Rifles for the duration of the campaign.
The decision was finally taken to evacuate the peninsula and the removal of troops began in December and by early January 1916 the momentous task was successfully reaching its conclusion.
The remaining members of the 7th/8th Scottish Rifles to their eternal credit were one of the last units to leave on the final day. The 7th and 8th battalions had arrived at Cape Helles on the 14th June 1915 with 2200 officers and men and were now leaving by the same route on the 9th January 1916 with a combined strength of 130.
It has to be assumed that the last remaining embers that were the old 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers were surely extinguished on the white, hot slopes of Gully Ravine on the Gallipoli peninsula on the 28th June 1915.
Gallipoli was an expensive and disastrously led failure that the British government wanted to quickly forget and as a way of minimising its importance no special medal was struck to commemorate the campaign.
The Great War finally reached its conclusion and in 1919, the 1st and 2nd Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) returned to peacetime duties, while the territorials returned to their previous calling or were disbanded
World War II, brought the Cameronians out of 'retirement' and the 7th Battalion was again to distinguish themselves, after the D-Day landings in 1944 on Walchern Island, off Antwerp. The 7th Cameronians in the company of the 6th Battalion liberated the island thus allowing access to the vital port of Antwerp, which was required as a landing base for supplies to support the allied push.
In 1950 the 6th and 7th Battalion amalgamated, but in 1966 the last link with the 7th was finally severed when they were disbanded.
Twelve months later the team borne by the forebears of the 7th Cameronians was in deep financial trouble. Third Lanark were now playing in the Scottish League Division 2 and played their last ever match against Dumbarton FC on 28th April 1967.
A Court Order in June of 1967 finally closed the turnstyles at Cathkin Park forever.
The famous names that were Third Lanark FC and the 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers are now sadly consigned to History.
For a direct link to the author of this article, email Ian Livingston

...........and this from

HOW A WEE GLASGOW FARMHOUSE BECAME A WORLD RECORD HOLDER With Napoleon fresh in the mind, there was panic in the 1850's when the French began to expand their naval capabilities again. Volunteer corps were created with view to countering any French invasion. The Lanarkshire Volunteers had four corps with the third being based in Coplaw Street between Pollokshaws Road and Victoria Road. In 1872, the Third Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers decided to start a football club and started playing on a football pitch, the site of which is marked in red (see map above), on Langside Road. The small red square marks the site of their drill hall.

Thursday, 13 May 2010

Photo Page Third Lanark at Cathkin - Then...

wee selection from various sources...

Recent Press

Third Lanark born again after years of regret

19 May 2007
For the past 40 years Bob Laird has made nostalgic wee trips to Cathkin Park. He stands at the same spot on the overgrown terracing where he once watched his beloved Third Lanark, then moves to the other end, as you could then, for the second half.
For the past 40 years Bob Laird has made nostalgic wee trips to Cathkin Park. He stands at the same spot on the overgrown terracing where he once watched his beloved Third Lanark, then moves to the other end, as you could then, for the second half. In his mind's eye he replays the great games before the club went to the wall, owing just £40,000. It was one of the most heart-rending and disgraceful sagas in Scottish football history.
A Board of Trade investigation accused chairman Bill Hiddleston of corruption.
He ran the club down to sell the land for housing. "The circumstances merit police inquiry," they said.
It's no exaggeration to say that generations still bear the emotional scars. Yet Bob, who has written two books on the club, and whose East Kilbride home has become a shrine, will be back at Cathkin today. And he will see his team play again for real.
His field of dreams will come alive as an amateur Third Lanark team meet a Queen's Park under-21 side in an exhibition match to mark the 40th anniversary of the former's demise.
The red Hi Hi strips will bear replicas of the original club crest. Even the corner flags are exactly replicated, courtesy of Laird, and the Celtic supporter who nicked one, and hid it in his attic for more than two decades. Confident the heat had finally died down, he told Laird he could have it if he wanted.
"I was down at his place like a shot," recalls Laird. "It was from a cup-tie against Celtic which was cancelled because there was a heavy snowfall. The teams decided to play a friendly behind closed doors. The crowd broke in. Windows were smashed - and the corner flag was pinched. The guy kept it in his loft until about 20 years ago."
Laird has staged several exhibitions of Thirds photographs, programmes, medals, cigarette cards, ties, scarves, and other memorabilia. There's another exhibition today in the community hall at Cathkin Park. It will open around 12.30pm, but Bob hopes he'll be able to shut the door and see the game which kicks off at 2pm. But he'll re-open later, until 5.30pm.
He questions whether the players today will have the vaguest clue what they are commemorating. Laird is 66 and retired, but works in the Hampden football museum. "It's hard to get used to hearing kids there ask who Kenny Dalglish was," he says, "so they can't have a clue about a team which disappeared 40 years ago."
Johnny Campbell, great, great grandfather of Matthew Curry, who helped organise today's match, played for Thirds in the 1890s and also for Celtic. "This team will be entering the amateur league next season, under the famous grand old Third Lanark name," says Curry.
It may even spark a permanent revival, though they have experienced false dawns before. "Games like this just open old wounds," reflects Laird. One revivalist mission led to a Thirds side winning the Glasgow Under-19 boys league, but they foundered too.
"Keeping the dream alive?" laughs Laird. "I just bore people to death." His wife, Fay, tolerates his magnificent obsession. "We even have bricks from the old stand and pavilion," he confesses, a mite sheepishly, but his three children are indifferent.
"I'd a collection of 560 programmes, but sold them recently. I always bought stuff, never sold it before. A five-figure sum?" he laughs again. "Barely four. It's no pension fund. I'm more interested in the photos. I have a room full of albums. They bring back the memories far more than programmes. And big scrap books with masses of cuttings."
He knows all the old stories, which will doubtless get another airing on June 23, at a Third Lanark speakers' night in Kingswood Bowling Club, with former players including George McCallum, Ian Hilley, Willie Cunningham and Peter Dallas. They often had to be paid in coppers from the turnstile takings.
Founded on December 12, 1872, as Third Lanark Rifle Volunteers, they played their last match on April 28, 1967, losing 5-1 to Dumbarton at Boghead. Drew Busby scored their last goal, and the team squeezed into a mini-bus, oblivious to the impending doom, for the final trip back to Glasgow's south side.
As Third Lanark, they won the Scottish Cup twice, in 1889 and 1905, beating Celtic and then Rangers. By the Second World War 34 players had been capped by Scotland.
In season 1960-61 they scored six goals in their final league game against Hibs, their 100th of the season - 12 more than Rangers, and 36 more than Celtic.
Former First Minister Henry McLeish played for East Fife at Cathkin. The embryonic politician was trying to please everybody. He scored twice - one for each side. He recalls taking lightbulbs from Methil as they had been removed in Cathkin's dressing-room, to keep down costs.
When the Customs and Excise came, chairman Hiddleston had the players hide the fruit machines, and when a youngster broke his arm he ordered Thirds player Mike Jackson to go with him. He had instructions to prevent casualty staff cutting off his jersey: "Tell the doctors to lift the effing jersey over his head and not cut the sleeves, for we'll need it next week."
Four former directors were found guilty of contravening the Companies Act and fined £100 each, but Hiddleston did not live to hear that. He died of a heart attack less than seven months after Thirds' last match. (From The Herald)

"Third Lanark return is only a dream"

By Ewing GrahamePublished: 12:01AM BST 11 Jun 2008

Poor old Third Lanark. Reports of their resurrection are, unfortunately, greatly exaggerated.

It was claimed by a Glasgow red-top yesterday that the famous old club, whose formation in 1872 pre-dates the Old Firm, had applied to rejoin the Scottish Football League in the wake of Gretna's resignation. The story would have had Glaswegians of a certain age welling up. Sadly, the manager of Third Lanark AC, Peter Docherty, admitted any such approach is unlikely.
It's 41 years since Thirds fell into liquidation, following a Board of Trade enquiry, which produced a damning report into the running of the club by the late Bill Hiddlestone.
That was an ignominous end to a club which won the Scottish title in 1901 and the Scottish Cup in 1889 and 1905 and which, six years before their demise, finished third in the top flight behind Rangers and Kilmarnock but ahead of Celtic.
Docherty revived the club as a labour of love five years ago and they operate as an amateur concern in the Greater Glasgow Adult League out of the famous, if dilapidated, Cathkin Park. They own neither the ground nor, crucially, the club's name and both represent obstacles for a return to even semi-professional level.
"Some of the boys were just looking for a bit of publicity for the club," said Docherty. "However, we've no intention of applying to rejoin the Scottish League.
"Although we play at Cathkin, the Culture and Sports department have a 25-year lease on it from Glasgow District Council. They need to return it to the council for us to negotiate to take it over: they might as well give it to us because the ground is a shambles.
"It could take us five years after we finally get the ground and do it up before we're ready to play in the Junior Leagues. Anything after that would be a bonus.
"About five years ago, Billy Connolly joked that he and Sean Connery were going to buy Third Lanark and make a success of it.
"That prompted two men - one from Edinburgh, who registered the name Third Lanark Athletic Club at Companies House, and another from England who registered the name Third Lanark Athletic - to move in and they could still scupper our chances."

Wednesday, 12 May 2010

Latest news

Every morning I can be found training on the old blaize running track. Doing this for a few weeks I noticed the state of the wall surrounding the pitch. A bit of research later I found it was the original wall. I have now set about trying to clear 4 decades of moss and graffitti from the surface and to patch up the holes that have been kicked in by neds, as well as clearing the remaining terraces of leaves and broken glass. 'Finds' this week include a smashed bathroom sink and a hoover!! God only knows what goes on here at night!! Thanks to fellow blogger illman who took this shot of the 'mossy walls!'.
To date we have now cleared 122 feet of the pitch wall, in preparation for repainting later in the summer of 2010. Every day we are clearing rubbish from the playing area and running track as well as now making a start on the South stand. The Council groundsmen have been kind enough to lend me brushes and bin bags recently and are as keen for something to happen with this grand old stadium as I am. Watch this space...!
A month on now, and we are over 160 feet of the pitch wall fixed and clear of the destructive moss! Still a long way to go though, but come rain or shine I'm there every day. Just wish I didn't have to clear so many booze bottles off the track and terraces every bloody day! So frustrating, but what can you do? Theres no security on site and it's a public park, but I hear that the local police are checking up on the place from time to time, so hopefully this will help. Spoke to a former Third Lanark ball boy today. He'd be heartbroken to see the old ground nowadays! Made me even more determined to do what I can to restore/preserve this former international football stadium.

Our Aim

We are dedicated to preserving Scottish football history and keeping alive the memory of Third Lanark Rifle Volunteers Football club and their ground New Cathkin Park. This was formerly Hampden Park 2, home of Queens Park and hosted Cup Finals and two International matches in it's early years. Thankfully Glasgow City Council have preserved and maintained this important site since the club folded in 1967. The remaining terraces and surrounding pitch wall have fallen into disrepair over the years, through old age and vandalism, but we have taken it upon ourselves to fix the place up again and to restore it to some kind of glory for the enjoyment of future generations. This should be a permanent reminder of Glasgow's Victorian football heritage...
Check out the SFL website for our interview with Craig Stewart.