Sunday, 16 May 2010

Hampden Park 2 - Home Of Queens Park FC

The ground was originally Queens Park Ground and staged its first league game in 1884. The ground then was called Hampden Park and Queens Park played there until they moved to the present site of Hampden Park in 1903. When Third Lanark took over the ground in 1903, they renamed it Cathkin Park. Whilst known as Hampden Park in staged a number of Scottish Cup Finals and even Scotland played England there in 1894.
From Wikipedia.....
The Queen's Park Football Club was founded on 9 July 1867 with the words: "Tonight at half past eight o'clock a number of gentlemen met at No. 3 Eglinton Terrace for the purpose of forming a football club." Gentlemen from the local YMCA took part in football matches in the local Glasgow area which gave the club its name . During the inaugural meeting, debate raged over the club's name. Proposals included: 'The Celts'; 'The Northern' and 'Morayshire'. Perhaps such choice of names suggest a Highland influence within the new club. After much deliberation, 'Queen's Park' was adopted and carried, but only by a majority of one vote. Although Queen's were not the first club in Britain, they were the first in Scotland and often had to play among themselves in order to gain match practice. Opposition first came in the form of a now defunct Glaswegian side called Thistle FC and Queen's won 2-0 on 1 August 1868. ] Early Domination
Looking for serious competition and without any firm domestic challenges, Queen's joined the English Football Association in 1870 - the only football governing body in existence at the time. Their main attraction was to the new Challenge Cup and contributions were made to pay for the trophy . Queen's reached the first ever semi-finals in 1872 but had to withdraw due to lack of funds after drawing their first ever competitive match 0-0 with The Wanderers at the Kennington Oval. Financial constraints meant that Queen's played little part in the competition until 1884 where they stormed to the final before losing 2-1 to Blackburn Rovers at The Oval . Another loss to Blackburn the following year was the closest Queen's got to winning the English trophy. In 1887, Scottish clubs were banned from entering by the Scottish Football Association .
Robert Smith had played in the international matches against England of 19 November 1870[8] and the international matches of 25 February 1871 and 18 November 1871. The Queen's Park football club players R.Smith and J. Smith were named amongst 16 selected players in the publicity for the February 1872 match, and the reason for their absence is not clear. These early matches were organised under the auspices of the Football Association, but are not currently recognised by FIFA (founded 1904) as official.
Queen's and other 'Northern' clubs have been credit with bringing a style of 'passing-on' and 'combination' play to the game which revolutionised football . Before, individual play and dribbling were favoured by the best sides in the United Kingdom . But the 'clogging' style, popular with the successful Old Etonians, became outmoded and formations changed to suit a more expansive game, with passing, heading and wing play more commonplace .
On the 30th of November 1872, Scotland faced England at the West of Scotland Cricket Club ground at Hamilton Crescent. For the one and only time all eleven Scots players were from Queen's Park and they wore blue jerseys as those were the current colours of Queen's. This is, however, not the origin of the blue Scotland shirt as contemporary reports of the February 5th 1872 rugby international at the Oval show that "the scotch were easily distinguishable by their uniform of blue jerseys.... the jerseys having the thistle embroidered" The thistle had been worn previously in the 1871 rugby international but on brown shirts 4,000 spectators watched Scotland play with a 2-2-6 formation and England with a 1-1-8 line-up.
The match itself illustrated the advantage gained by the Queens Park players "through knowing each others' play" as all came from the same club. Contemporary match reports clearly show dribbling play by both the English and the Scottish sides, for example: "The Scotch now came away with a great rush, Leckie and others dribbling the ball so smartly that the English lines were closely besieged and the ball was soon behind", "Weir now had a splendid run for Scotland into the heart of his opponents' territory." and "Kerr.. closed the match by the most brilliant run of the day, dribbling the ball past the whole field" Scotland nearly won but a Robert Leckie shot landed on the tape crossbar and the game finished 0-0. Although the Scottish team are acknowledged to have worked better together during the first half, the contemporary account in the Scotsman newspaper acknowledges that in the second half England played similarly: "During the first half of the game the English team did not work so well together, but in the second half they left nothing to be desired in this respect." There is no specific description of a passing maneouvre in the lengthy contemporary match reports, although two weeks' later The Graphic reported "[Scotland] seem to be adepts at passing the ball". There is no evidence in the article that the author attended the match, as the reader is clearly pointed to match descriptions in "sporting journals". Similarly, the 5th March 1872 match between Wanderers and Queens park contains no evidence of ball passing This contemporary evidence suggests that the origin of the short passing game lies in the mid 1870s.
Queen's have been credited with pioneering solid cross bars, however, even as late as the 1872 Glasgow international a "tape" was being used in Scotland whilst the use of crossbars had been part of the Sheffield Rules of 1862.
Queen's Park formed the Scottish Football Association on the 13th of March 1873, with eight other clubs . Their match with Dumbreck on October 25 was the first match to be played at the first at Hampden Park . It was also the first match which saw Queen's wear their custom black and white hooped jerseys, which lent the club the nickname of 'The Spiders". Most importantly, it was the first Scottish Cup tie and Scottish competitive match for the club and Queen's won 7-0. In the final, Queen's defeated Clydesdale 2-0 at Hampden.
Queens Park FC's playing style involved the rough and tumble of early soccer even in the mid 1870s. For example, the match report of Queen's Park's victory over Wanderers in October 1875 states that
After a “hand” within thirty yards of the Wanderers’ lines, Weir got possession, and, successfully charg[ed] the English forwards
Success in the Scottish Cup followed in the next two years with final victories over Renton and Third Lanark. In drawing 2-2 with Clydesdale in the 1875 semi-final, Queen's conceded their first ever goals . Defeat for the club was first experienced with a 2-1 defeat to Vale of Leven in the 5th round in December 1876 . Third Lanark and Rangers eliminated the Spiders before Queen's reclaimed the cup in 1880 with a win over Thornliebank. Dumbarton were beaten in the final in successive years. In 1881, Queen's had to beat them twice after Dumbarton successfully appealed that the crowd at Kinning Park had encroached following a 2-1 defeat. Dumbarton got revenge in 1883 but Queen's won again in 1884 without even having to play the final after Vale of Leven refused to play on the date stipulated by the SFA .
Afterwards, the domination in the competition that the club had enjoyed began to lessen as more teams strengthened. The trophy was reclaimed in 1890 with a replay win over Vale of Leven and the club's 10th and final success came in 1893 with a 2-1 win over Celtic at Ibrox. In the same year, professional football was acknowledged by the SFA. Three years previously, the Scottish Football League had been formed but Queen's declined to join, stressing their amateur principles. Queen's Park joined the Scottish League in 1900 and took part in the 1900-01 season.
Nevertheless the Queen's players of the time were held in high regard throughout the country and some are still remembered today. Charles Campbell won eight Scottish Cup winners medals with Queen's and earned 13 Scotland caps. Wattie Arnott was a near ever-present in the successful teams of the 1880s. RS McColl scored a remarkable number of goals for Queen's and soon moved on to Newcastle and Rangers. In a unprecedented move, he returned to Queen's and scored six goals in his final match. Andrew Watson was the first black football player in Britain . He won three Scotland caps and starred in one of the club's earliest sides. J.A.H Catton, a notable sports editor, named Watson in his all-time Scotland team in 1926. Queen's in the Scottish League
However, as the 20th century drew nearer, Queen's found themselves playing in only cup competitions and the Glasgow league. A remarkable run to the 1900 Scottish Cup final saw Queen's only narrowly lose 4-3 to Celtic. The previous 25 years had Queen's achieve great success in cup competition but after ten years of resistance they finally took the big step to the Scottish Division One.
Queen's struggled with top-flight football and the professional sides which surrounded them. An early high-point was a 1-0 victory over Celtic at the opening of the new Hampden Park in 1903.


  1. From website:


    The club had not been completely unprepared for the removal from their first home, as some time earlier a committee had been established to see if there were any suitable places for a more permanent ground. The committee identified an area some five hundred yards to the north east of the club's first home.

    When it became clear that the club would have to move, an approach was made to the landowner to see if they were willing to let the club have the land. He was willing to rent his land, at a cost to the club £100 per annum with a five year lease, but Queen's were canny negotiators and reduced the rent for the first two years to £80. Not only that, but the railway company who were the cause of their moving would pay for drainage and levelling of Queen's new pitch, while the landlord would pay for the turfing of the pitch.

    However, this would not be ready until 1884, so the club were forced to look for a temporary home for a season. An agreement was reached with Clydesdale Cricket Club, then based in the Kinning Park area of the city before their move to the Crossmyloof area of the city, to use their ground for one season, at a cost of sixty pounds.

    The second Hampden Park was opened in October 1884 when the club played out a goalless draw with Dumbarton in an "ordinary" (friendly) match before 7,000 spectators. Two stands had been built, one on the north side of the ground (the Myrtle Park side of the ground) at a cost of forty pounds, while the stand on the south side was built under an agreement with a local builder. This meant that the builder constructed the stand at no cost to the club, but spectators had to pay extra to use it and the proceeds were be split evenly between the builder and Queen's, and after a three year period it was to become Queen's property at no cost.
    In 1889 Queen's secured a second five year lease, and a further five year extension in 1894, although by now the rent was £150 per annum. Further attempts were made by the club to buy the ground outright, but these were futile and the another search began for a piece of land the club could purchase and own outright. The search was of course successful, but it would be some time before it was ready.

    Eventually it was time to move on, and the last game at the second Hampden was a 1 - 1 draw with Partick Thistle on 17/10/1903, a fortnight before the new stadium was opened.

    After Queen's departed the second Hampden Park, the ground was taken over by Third Lanark, who had been playing at a ground about five hundred yards further south on Cathcart Road. Unfortunately no agreement could be reached between Queen's and Third Lanark regarding the pavilion, and it was removed by Queen's.The second Hampden was renamed Cathkin Park, and was used by Thirds until their demise in 1967. There has been virtually no development of the ground since then, and a public football pitch still occupies the ground. Indeed visitors to Cathkin today can still see large sections of terracing complete with barriers that have stood empty for over 35 years.

  2. From the Queens Park FC website:

    "A number of Gentlemen met
    THE minutes of a meeting held on July 9, 1867 begin with the words: "Tonight at half past eight o'clock a number of gentlemen met at No. 3 Eglinton Terrace for the purpose of forming a football club."
    That meeting in 3 Eglinton Terrace on the south side of Glasgow saw the formation of Queen’s Park Football Club, and the start of Scottish Football.

    The game had been played before then, in public schools where they had their own code and their own established rules. But it was Queen’s who really set the ball rolling.

    The club set about laying down the foundation of the modern game, adopting a passing style of play which employed skilful ball control. The team worked as a unit, utilising team tactics, unlike that of their contemporaries of the day who played an 'individualistic' style of game which used kick-and-rush tactics, 'dribbling' with the ball, hacking and rough play.

    It also took a decision that its players would not be paid ; adopting the motto: “Ludere causa Ludendi” - to play for the sake of playing.

    That decision holds good today, with no Queen’s Park player ever having received a wage from the club.

    That amateur status is just one of the many factors that makes Queen’s Park unique in world of senior football.

  3. THE fact their players don't get paid has never stopped the club from being at the forefront of much of the history of the game in this country.
    Queen's Park was at the centre of establishing the Scottish Football Association. It organised and administered the first international meeting between Scotland and England under association rules - and indeed it was Queen's Park who supplied the entire Scottish side on that very first meeting on 30th November 1872.
    The Scottish side wore their club jerseys for that international which was then dark blue in colour, the same dark blue as worn today by the national team. More than 4000 spectators watched the sides play out a 0-0 draw on St Andrew's Day.
    Queen's Park looked to other competitions too, and when invited to take part in the first ever English F.A Cup in 1872, they took up the challenge, entering at the semi-final stage against the famous public school side, Wanderers. The game ended goalless. Unable to remain for the replay due to financial constraints, Queen's were compelled to scratch.
    The club finished runners-up in the famous trophy on two occasions - 1884 when the amateurs scored a total of 32 goals with only one conceded, to reach the final.
    The final itself saw Queen's Park battle it out against Blackburn Rovers at Kensington Oval. The Lancashire side won 2-1 to lift the trophy. The following year, Queen's Park found themselves in the F.A. Cup final once more. Blackburn Rovers were the opponents again and for the second time. it was the Lancashire side who emerged victors, this time by a 2-0 scoreline.
    A year later, in 1873, the Scottish Football Association and the Scottish Cup was instituted, with Queen's Park as founder members. The cup competition got under way on October 18, with Queen's Park entering on 25 October 1873. This was to be an important day for the club as they opened their new ground - Hampden Park - the first of their three grounds to bear the famous name.
    On that day too, the 'glorious' black and white hooped shirt was introduced for the very first time. Queen's Park won the tie against Dumbreck 7-0 and went on to win the cup for the very first time.
    Outside the domestic scene, Queen's Park journeyed far and wide to spread the concept of organised football.
    One such sojourn was to Ireland in 1879 when Queen's played an exhibition match against Caledonians at the Ulster Cricket ground in Ballymafeigh. The game caused so much excitement amongst the local crowd that the first Irish soccer club, Cliftonville, was founded soon after the visit. A year later, the Irish Football Association was formed.
    As a club, Queen's introduced new concepts into the game such as crossbars, half-time and free-kicks, all of which were later incorporated into the modern game.

  4. Towards the end of the 19thcentury, Association football had become the people's game in Victorian society for both players and spectators. Soon this once recreational activity was to become a profession with high stakes to play for.
    By 1890 the Scottish Football league was formed, but despite being invited to join, Queen's Park resisted this new league set-up. Remaining true to their amateur ethics, they staunchly repelled the new 'professionalism' creeping into the sport and rejected joining a league that would ultimately involve professional clubs.
    There was another reason for the 'amateurs' resisting the new league.Queen's felt that rather than nurture the smaller and weaker clubs, the league would ultimately cause their demise. As a club that saw themselves as pioneers of the game, Queen's Park felt they could not be party to such a potentially destructive element.
    Queen's Park remained outside the Scottish Football League for several years,during which time the club found it increasingly hard to arrange fixtures, especially with those who were members of the new league structure. In effect, Queen's Park had been 'frozen out'.
    The lure of regular weekly fixtures was too hard to refuse; the club eventually entered the league in 1900. That same year, Queen's Park reached the Scottish Cup final for one more time. The game, played at Ibrox in front of a crowd of 17,000, saw Celtic emerge 4-3 victors after a thrilling match.
    By the time Queen's Park had been elected into the Scottish League (the First Division no less), the club was already in decline as a major force in Scottish football. The League looked on kindly to amateur stalwarts and granted them special dispensation, preventing them from relegation into the second division. At the end of their first season, the 'amateurs' finished in 8th position (on goal difference) out of a league of eleven teams. In reality however, Queen's Park did not distinguish themselves well in league football, their best season being 1917-18, when the club finished 7th in a league of 18 clubs.
    Fearing the prospect that its best players could be poached at anytime by other clubs, Queen's Park had asked the League for protection for amateur players. In 1910, the club had made an official complaint against rivals, Clyde, who had made an approach to one of their players, Willie McAndrew. The league ruled that Queen's Park had the right to retain their players until April 30 each year. That ruling is still in force today

  5. By the middle of the 1880s Queen's Park could draw in 10,000 spectators to watch a 'friendly'.
    Recognising that a purpose built stadium for supporters was the way ahead, plans were soon put in place for a new ground to accommodate the huge interest the public was taking in the round ball game.
    After leaving the original Hampden, which incidentally had turnstiles at entry gates already in place - the first of its kind at any sporting venue - Queen's Park moved into an all-purpose built stadium near Crosshill in 1884.
    This new venue retained the original name - Hampden Park - although this was later to become home to Third Lanark and its name was changed to Cathkin Park.
    As popularity in the game took immense strides, the thoughts of Queen's Park members turned once again towards accommodating a public turning out in great numbers to watch the game.
    By 1900 plans were put in place, starting with the purchase of 12 acres of farmland at Mount Florida. The intention was to build a brand new stadium that would offer comfortable surroundings in a pleasant environment. This, the present day Hampden Park, was finally completed three years later and officially opened on October 31, 1903.
    More innovations followed - a press box in 1906 and, towards the end of the 1920s, crush barriers had been introduced as well as a tannoy system and a car park outside the ground.
    Other firsts followed including the world's first all-ticket match - a game against the 'Auld Enemy' in 1937.
    Our magnificent home ground still hosts Scotland internationals, and is still selected by European football's ruling bodies to stage their showpiece games.
    Contrary to popular myth, Queen's Park still own Hampden, although its day-to-day running is carried out by a separate umbrella body. And, pop concerts and European finals excepting, Queen's still play their home games at the national stadium.
    The club's plans took another step forward with the next stage of the Lesser Hampden development. The grass was replaced with a state-of-the art astroturf surface, allowing more of our teams to train there, and giving us a better platform to develop our blossoming links with schools football.