We have been doing some filming recently for the documentary we are making entitled 'FIELD OF DREAMS'' and took some shots during our walking tour of the History Of Third Lanark. This is the old Drill Hall in Coplaw Street. Built in 1884, they were partially funded by a tournament played at the 2nd Hampden Park(now Cathkin) between 3RD LANARK, COWLAIRS, QUEENS PARK & RANGERS FC. Each played 2 halves of 20 minutes, with Rangers running out the eventual winners.
The 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers were eventually amalgamated into the Cameronians following the Haldane Military Reforms of 1908, becoming the 7th Terratorial Battalion of The Cameronians(Scottish Rifles). This proud history is commemorated above the entrance with this wonderful carving. A fitting tribute to the likes of Sgt.John Yuill Turnbull VC and 2nd Lieut. John Ferguson, killed at the Somme and whose body was never recovered. The Regiment served with honour in the murderous Gallipoli campaign. This is from The Hellfire Corner Website -"The 7th & 8th Battalions had arrived at Cape Helles
on the 14th june 1915 with 2200 Officers and men, but left on the 9th of January 1916 with a combined strength of 130."It seems that " the last remaining embers that were the 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers were extinguished on the white-hot slopes of Gully Ravine on the 28th June 1915." (c) Ian Livingston.
If our campaign to return to Cathkin is successful, then it is our intention to build a War Memorial to all of those who served with the 3rd LRV and to remember their sacrifice from The Boer War onwards. Lest We Forget.